Saturday, January 18, 2014

Culinasm

Culinasm = a culinary orgasm achieved by a perfect union of food and wine flavors.  (And, yes, I DID make this term up!)

Now I've had some amazing food in my time.  I've had amazing wine.  I've had amazing food and wine paired together and been absolutely delighted.  What I'm referring to, though, is an entirely different phenomenon.  I am talking about a full-blown, unabashed, euphoric food and wine experience that leaves you breathless and begging for more.  A culinary combination so crazily collaborated that it's captivating and downright cathartic (and now that I got that obnoxious use of alliteration out of my system...please forgive the creative liberty!)  

It was a handful of months ago, and I asked Bruce which of his lovely Cabs that I should take out to dinner, as I was going to be joining some dear friends for a much needed evening out.  His first question, of course being, "Well, are they wine people?"  
"Of course," I replied.  "I wouldn't dream of sharing your wine with folks that wouldn't appreciate it."
Bruce: "Good answer!  Good people!  Well, about the wine, it all depends.  Where ya going?"
Me: "Artisan."
Bruce: "What are you eating?"
Me: " I have NO idea!  They revamped their menu when they moved to their new location and I haven't been there yet, so I don't even know what's on the new menu."
Bruce: "I know something on the menu!  Do you like lamb?"
Me: "Sure."

Bruce went back to his library and pulled out a bottle of 2006 3-Barrel Cab (as in three barrels, or roughly 75 cases, was all that was produced of this baby).  He hands it to me and says, "Ok, take this bottle.  Order their lamb.  Have the waiter open it right away and let it breath through appetizers, and have a glass when your dinner comes."

Now, if you've been to Hansen Vineyards, you know that there is nothing that Bruce is more passionate about than great food paired with his world-class wine.  At this juncture, I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar, in fact, that if Bruce is recommending this particular pairing that it's going to be exceptional.  Nothing, however, could have prepared me for what I had in store.

As promised, we had the waitress open the wine at the beginning of dinner.  Between chatting and appetizers, it had to have been about an hour by the time my lamb arrived.  Wine in the glass, I take in the nose and stop dead in my tracks.  The nose is like utter perfume.  With sweet hints of vanilla and gorgeous, dark fruit, I'm enthralled.  Now for the palate test.  Ohmygod.  Honestly, one of the best sips of wine that I have ever had the pleasure of rolling across my palate.  It's big.  It's bold.  It's got flavors for days.  The balance of fruit and oak is sheer perfection, and the finish is soft and lingering.  Truth be told, I'm (a) not certain that I want to pair this wine with any food and (b) no longer really feel like sharing my bottle!

Cautiously, I cut off a piece of the lamb chop (cooked medium-rare), and take in the flavors.  Exquisite.  And for the real test, I take a sip of my new favorite wine. They combine in a tryst of flavors, and I prepare to swallow.  Will it be harmonious?  Cacophonous? 

I am speechless.  A woman of (too) many words is without dialog.  I'm undone.  I'm in a world of my own, and I can't come back into reality.  

I was having a such a moment with my food and wine, in fact, that I could have very well unleashed an Oscar worthy rendition of Meg Ryan's famous "When Harry Met Sally Scene" right there in Paso Robles Artisan, and it was legit!

A culinasm.

I had to let others in on my discovery.  Within seconds, I'm forcing pieces of chop onto everyone's plates, and filling everyone's glasses.  It was too incredible not to have my friends sharing in my stupor.

Moments later, my jury rang in their verdict.  They agreed, unabashedly.  It was utter perfection.

Truth be told, that was my first culinasm, and I haven't had one since.  And that's not to say that I haven't had good food, or good wine, or even good pairings.  But THAT caliber experience has left all others paling in comparison. Maybe it's because it was my first.  Maybe it's because I haven't been out there sampling enough. Maybe this is starting to sound like something that it shouldn't sound like and more than you ever wanted to read about in a winery blog.  

Or maybe, like me, you are not afraid to wave that freak flag and scream it out to all who will hear...

"I have a total life mission to achieve that heightened state of culinary euphoria again and again and again!"

To all my fellow foodie/wino freaks, I salute you!  

If you've had a culinasm of epic proportions and would like to share about it, please email me (Jennifer) at jjansen@hansenwines.com

     


3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I'll have what she's having!"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZluzt3H6tk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds fantastic. Next time we're up we'll have to try that!

    ReplyDelete