Sunday, June 29, 2014

"I Just Came in for Two Bottles of Wine!"

One particular Sunday afternoon, a few months back, began with an indoor tasting.  Bruce and I were visiting with a delightful couple when this darling gal and a younger gentleman came, literally, waltzing up our drive.

With a vivacious spirit and endearing smile, this gal goes on to explain that she had purchased our wine somewhere down in Southern California, to which Bruce immediately argued, "That's completely impossible...I don't distribute!"

She was insistent that she had purchased a bottle of our wine, and loved it so much that she and her son (the younger gentleman that was by her side) ventured off of the beaten path of their several hour long road trip, to come buy two bottles of wine.  A brief  and single wine stop, she reiterated!

Bruce begins to take her through a pouring, and before long, everyone was laughing and having a grand old time.

As it was nearing lunch time and there were just a handful of us, Bruce extended his warmest hospitality and invited everyone to stay for homemade, fire-grilled burgers.

(Have I ever mentioned how much I love my job???)

Now, if you've ever been to Hansen, say, on a given Sunday, and Bruce is in "that mood", a short stop can turn into a several hour visit, which is exactly what happened.  Before we knew it, closing time had rolled around and all of the same guests that had joined us for lunch were still with us.  Laughter, wine, conversation and new friendships ensued.

Our darling new friend kept reiterating "This is crazy!  I just came in for two bottles of wine, and I've been here ALL DAY!"

Flash forward a few months and just last weekend, this same adorable gal came bubbling through our front door.

"Hi Jen, do you remember me?" she questioned in her jubilant tone.  "You know, the one that came in for just two bottles of wine!"

Of course I remembered her!

After catching up for a couple of minutes, I ask if I can take her through a tasting, to which she reluctantly agrees to "just a few sips" as she has to drive home to Orange County.

"You're gunna think I'm crazy, but I can't stay long.  In fact, I just came in for two bottles of wine!"

"Famous last words," I say.

We laugh.

Enter a phone call on her business line.  She excuses herself.

Walking back into the Tasting Room, she has an impish grin on her face.  "I've got a question for you!" she says.  "Is there any way Bruce would allow a helicopter to land here?"

"Uh!" I fumble.  "I have NO idea, but I can ask!"

Long story short...a few hours later and THIS happened...




(Yes that's our darling friend greeting her dear associate in his private helicopter, and yes, she did end up staying until closing this day, as well!)


(And, in all actuality it was not one, but TWO helicopters, and eight new fabulous guests that, quite literally, dropped in for a tasting!!!)

Too much excitement for one day...and all thanks to our dear friend who, once again, just stopped in for two bottles of wine!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment